This page is a work in progress. . . .thanks for your patience. Hope its done soon?
The joy of going travelling uplifts the spirit. Maybe that’s because it involves leaving the drudgery of everyday work and life behind you.
Or it’s the chance to take in new cultures, find new people, taste different foods and indulge newly found experiences.
Whether it’s for work commitments or a holiday in the sun, at a beach, an adventure tour, getting away to paradise, a city or a road trip, getting away from it all is one of life’s great joys.
While work was busy for Ace and I in Sydney there were opportunities most years for travel and enjoyment. Its good for the sole to take a break and recharge.
Either through annual vacations or associated with work we managed to get away most years to interesting locations.
We made a number of trips to Thailand over the years. It is Aces home country and a great value holiday location.
These regular trips allowed me to feel comfortable and willing to retire in Thailand.
You can find below short post highlights of these journeys, a few pictures that capture the locations and memories that were enjoyed when visiting – its better than writing too much about these:
- Vienna, Austria & Athens, Greece – 2003
- Bali, Indonesia – 2000, 2006, 2011, 2012
- Angkor, Cambodia – 2007
- Hong Kong – 2008
- Saigon, Vietnam – 2010
- Singapore – 2012
- Thailand – various years & places – (2001, 02, 04, 05), 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 2013
Some work trips took me to the following locations for Airport Counsel International (ACI) meetings or aviation conferences. This allowed me to soak up the joy of travel and the opportunity to meet new people, learn and experience new things:
- Hong Kong Aviation Conference – 1993
- Chicago, USA – Aviation Conference – 1995
- Minneapolis, USA – Aviation Conference 1996
- Washington, USA – APS work – 1998
2001 – 2013
- Athens, Greece – Aviation Conference – 2003
- Vancouver, Canada – Aviation Conference – 2004
- Christchurch & Queenstown, New Zealand – APEC aviation meeting – March 2005
- Mannhiem, Germany – Zurich, Switzerland – family/visitor – October 2005
- Geneva, Switzerland – Aviation conference – October 2005
- Hong Kong – Aviation Conference – 2006
- Vancouver, Canada- Winter Olympic planning – September 2009
- Toronto, Canada – aviation meeting – September 2009
- Frankfurt, Germany – ACI Committee meeting – 2010
- Amsterdam, Netherlands – tourist – September 2011
- Munich, Germany – ACI World meeting – September 2011
- Abu Dhabi, UAE – ACI Regional meeting -November 2011
- Cape Town, South Africa – ACI World meeting – February 2012
- Singapore – ACI Regional meeting – May 2012
- Houston/Dallas, Texas – family visit – August 2012
- Washington, USA- ACI World meeting – August 2012
- Phuket, Thailand – ACI Regional meeting – April 2013
These sojourns were additional to the travel adventures I was lucky to experience when living in Canada, such as:
- Overseas back packing adventure
- Spain, Portugal, Morocco, France, Germany, England – 1974/75
- Across Canada – 4500 kilometres each – 1968 & 1990
- Across USA – 4,400 kilometres each – 1968 & 1982
- Toronto, Canada to Florida – return – 4,000 kilometres – 1970
When I say on my home (front) page that I am a well-travelled sole living Tranquil in Thailand, I don’t think its an exaggeration.
These journeys have made me a more worldly individual and one that is grateful for these opportunities, I have travelled many road and many miles but gained so much as a result.
Following are a few highlights of some of these journey experiences.
With a meeting in Munich I travelled to allow myself time to visit Amsterdam.
We detoured to check out Siem Reap & the famous Angkor Wat temples and historic area
We took a visit to Athens and a local island to get a little flavor of what the country was about.
We took the opportunity to take a break in Bali on 3 occasions.
An Airport Council International meeting allowed me a trip to South Africa
I took a train to Zurich and had a two day stop to check out the city.
we decided to check out Ho Chi Min City and southern areas of Vietnam
On a holiday to Thailand in 2008 we stopped off in Hong Kong.
Had a visit with my son and his family on my way to a conference in Washington during August 2012.
My son was playing hockey so being in Europe I took the opportunity to visit him.
This was a second visit to Singapore and it was still hot and humid.
Our annual vacation often took us back to Thailand.
We were lucky to fly through Vienna and got to stop and have a look around for a few days.