Consular Services and Public Diplomacy Activity
So what do the numbers say? Here is some general information regarding the scope of work and scale of activities for the Australian Honorary Consul covering two monthly May and June 17 periods. The simple intent is to be transparent through sharing the involvement of the Honorary Consul with Australians and the Thai community in the North.
So with this in mind, the month of May 17 was an active month for the Consulate with 93 contacts/activities requiring 39 service hours. The client language mix was 88% English & 12% Thai. By comparison the month of June 17 was considerably busier with 126 contacts/activities that involved 51 service hours with a client language mix of 78% English & 22% Thai.
These activities involved matters such as providing advise and information in response to inquiries, offering referrals, attending clients, events and ceremonies. Here is a break up of these activities:
Consular & passports: – 49% in May & 50% in June
Australian visa’s: – 29% in May & 31% in June
Information & Other: 10% in May & 6% in June
Public diplomacy: 12% in May & 13% in June
Another initiative of the Consulate is to operate websites and Facebook pages in order to share information that may be helpful and interesting. These social media platforms are routinely viewed with the number of visitors being: May and June 17 Website: 686 views – June Facebook: 568 people reached
You are seeing this post on the Honorary Consul of Australia website (Tranquil in Thailand) so for reference here are links for the other sites: Honorary Consul Facebook – Australian Consulate in Chiangmai Facebook – Australianconsulatechiangmai.com Website
One of the roles of the volunteer honorary consul position is to represent and promote Australia. Following is a pictorial depictions of a few key events that were attended during May and June:
- Australian Thai Chamber of Commerce – AUSTCHAM – visit with some Chiang Mai business people and attending a networking event, held jointly with other Country Chambers.
- Chiang Mai Pride Month – Photography display opening at the CMU House of Photography
- Police Region 5 – Consular Corps Reception & Dinner to promote close working relations and foster tourism safety
- Thai Immigration – Afternoon Tea Talk to allow for informal exchange of views and questions regarding Thai immigration issues. The next day I had the opportunity for a meeting with Immigration Office Managers to discuss various visa issues.
- Ministry of Culture – Festival to showcase life, food and products from 16 North and lower North Provinces at the CMU Art Centre
Here is a video of the Entertainment –
- Army Visit – the local army circle representative, responsible for safety and security, for the area where the consulate is located stopped by for introductions and a review.
- Japanese Consul – welcome reception for the new Consul General at the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel
- Lanna Expo 2017 – Official Opening of a very large event OTOP that showcases products from Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang and Mae Hong Son Provinces
- Consulate of India Yoga – participated in the 3rd International Yoga Day for the promotion of yoga for exercise and well being
- American 241st Independence Day – attended early anniversary celebrations at the Consulate with other Consular Corps members
- Australian Artist – participated in the launch event for Australian Michelle Day’s Afterglow exhibition at Seescape Gallery
- Embassy Consular Outreach Program – on the 9 June two members of the consular team from the Australian Embassy Bangkok provided 74 services to clients across the day.
- British Honorary Consul in Chiang Mai – wins Point of Light award from British Prime Minister. Attend the award ceremony with Consular Corps members at Shangra-La hotel with guest, the British Ambassador.
Coming Up in July and August
- Australian Embassy Move – From 31 July 17 the new location for the Embassy is at 181 Wireless Road
- The Outreach Program happens about every two (2) months with the next one scheduled for 18 August 17. You can learn more about this on this link: Embassy webpage.
Now its on with consular activity for July and August months. Cheers