Another historic temple to contemplate visiting is Wat Maha Bodharam or Wat Jet Yod that was established by King Tilokarat in 1455 A.D.
Its a temple on the outskirts of the city and perhaps less popular with foreign visitors. It has a long history and the grounds are large, with lovely tree covered canopy and you feel the historic ambience of the buildings. Jet Yod translates to “seven peaks” and refers to the seven chedis which top a structure in the temple complex (left). It’s a very unusual – for Thailand – temple building.
There is information that explains the history and indicates the King ordered his artisans of the time to imitate the style of the Mahabodhi Hal of Bodh Gaya in India. It is assumed that the aim of this project was to celebrate the 2000th anniversary of Buddhism. For a tranquil retreat and to spend time observing history and perhaps time to rest and reflect – this seems a fitting place.
He also intended to make a reproduction of the place where the Lord Buddha attained enlightenment, and to establish a temple for Udompanya, a monk who traveled back from Lanka. He also had a Bodhi tree, which the monk brought back and was planted there, hence the temple name of “Wat Maha Bodharama”.
The eight Buddhist council was held in this temple in 1477 A.D, during the reign of King Tilokorat. This is considered to be the first Buddhist Council held in Thailand.